Designation: Assistant Professor, Sociology
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest/ specialization:
He is an Assistant Professor of Sociology. He did his Master of Arts (Sociology), from Sambalpur University, Orissa (1995). He completed Master of Philosophy in Sociology, Sambalpur University, Orissa (1996), and Ph.D. from LNJN National Institute of Criminology & Forensic Science, New Delhi (2004). He has been teaching at NUSRL since 2012. He worked as a Research and Training Coordinator, Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI), Hyderabad in JNNURM Project in the Urban Governance Area, from 8.8.2011 to 31.12.2011. He was a Technical Support Officer, United Nations Development Programme, in GOI-UNDP Capacity Development for Local Governance (CDLG) Project, State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD), Department of Panchayati Raj, Odisha from 3.3.11 to 3.8.2011. He worked as Senior Consultant, (Social Sector Policy, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation), District Planning and Monitoring Unit (DPMU), Koraput, UNICEF, Orissa from 16.8.2010 to 3.2.2011. He also worked as Project Specialist (Gender), United Nations Development Programme, in GOI-UNDP “Project Strengthening of State Plans for Human Development in Orissa”, Poverty and Human Development Monitoring Agency (PHDMA), Deptt of Planning & Coordination, Orissa Secretariat, Bhubaneswar from 1.10.2007 to 15.08.2011. He was a Zonal Coordinator at Zonal Office, Rayagada (National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level), under Orissa Primary Education Programme Authority (OPEPA), Govt of Orissa, Bhubaneswar, from August 2004 to September2007. He had been a District Coordinator for Girls Education, ECCE & Community mobilization under District Primary Education Programme/ Sarva Shikshya Abhiyan in Nabarangpur district of Orissa, from December 2003 to June 2004. He was a Research Officer in the project Rights of Women Prisoners in Indian jails (Sponsored by National Human Rights Commission) at L.N.J.N National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, Delhi from November 2001 to November 2002. He worked as a Research Fellow for pursuing PhD in Sociology at L.N.J.N.National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, Ministry of Home Affairs, Delhi. Duration: 3 years (February 1998 to February 2001).
Training Exposure & Experience
- Participated in the 3 Day Advance Workshop on Social Theory (Social Science and its Frontiers: Problematizations , Interrogations), March 26-28, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- Participated in Two Weeks Capacity Building workshop for Faculty Members of Social Sciences and Humanities from 13-25 January, 2014, organized by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela, Odisha.
- Participated in the Faculty Orientation Programme and Workshop held from Dec 26th -30th December, 2012 in National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi.
- Participated in the training programme on “Urban Management” from August 9th -10th in ASCI, Hyderabad.
- Attended review meeting of GOI-UNDP ‘CDLG Project’, April 7th -8th, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, New Delhi.
- Attended Young Scholars Programme on Human Development, June 15th – 27th, organized by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Studies (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Participated in Trainers of Training Programme on Human development and District Planning, 20th -24th Oct, 2008, organized by College of Agricultural Banking, Reserve Bank of India, Pune in collaboration with Planning Commission, Govt of India and UNDP, Delhi.
- Participated in the Workshop on Gender Budgeting, 16th Sept, organized by Women and Child Development Department in collaboration with PHDMA, P&C, Govt of Orissa with support of UNDP.
- Attended District level Workshop on Preparation of District Human Development Report of Ganjam, Mayurbhanj and Kalahandi district, organized by Planning Coordination Deptt, district Administration and UNDP, Orissa.
- Participated in the Inception Workshop for Technical Support Institution on Formulation of District plan, 24th May organized by planning & Coordination deptt, Govt Orissa with the collaboration of Agriculture and Panchayati Raj deptt.
- Participated in Strengthening State Plans for Human Development: District Level Vital Statistics, 4-7 March, organized by International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai.
- Workshop on Planning and Implementation of NPEGEL/KGBV in Orissa, 7-9th
- Participated in Gender Sensitization Training Programme for the Capacity building of Gender Coordinators, 18th –20th November, Konark, organized by UNICEF and OPEPA.
- Training of District Resource Group on Adolescents, 26th –1st May, Koraput, organized by UNFPA and OPEPA, BBSR.
- Master Trainers Training on Pre-School Education, 14th –17th May, , State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD), organized by W&CD and OPEPA, Bhubaneswar
- Attended Training course on Probation Services organized by the National Institute of Social Defence in collaboration with N.I.C.F.S, Delhi, from 27th–May 1st
- Women Police in India: A Socio-Psychological Study of Delhi and Orissa,
LAMBERT Academic Publishing, German.
- Elected women’s Representatives to the Village Panchayat: Their Role in Rural Development Programmes and Environmental Protection: A Critical Appraisal (A Joint Paper by S. Mohanty, J.K. Pattanaik and N. Mohanty) in Samal, Prasana. K(ed) Tribal Development: options, Gyanodaya Publication, Nainital, U.P, 1996.
- Social change and female criminality in India in Bajpai, G.S(ed) Development Without Disorder, Vishwavidyalya Prakashan, Sagar (M.P)
- Job Expectation, adjustment and coping mechanism among women in two police forces in India (a Joint paper by (Jisu Ketan Pattanaik and Vidisha Barua Worley) in De Guzman and Das(ed) The Evolution of Policing: World Wide Innovations and Insights (Ch-12), 2013, CRC Press, USA.
- Challenges in Education of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe Children: Case study of an Ashram School ( A joint paper by Nityananda Pradhan and Jisu Ketan Pattanaik), The Ravenshaw Journal of Educational Studies, Vol.1, No.1,2012.
- Language Barrier in Educational Attainment among Tribal Children: A Study of Ashram Schools in Koraput District of Odisha, India, Adivasi, Journal of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, Vol.52, No. 1& 2, 2012.
- Sociology of Health and Environment: its relevance in the contemporary society (A joint paper by J.K.Pattanaik and N.k.Mahakud), Swosth Hind, January, 1998.
- Professional Orientation and Career Aspiration of women police in Orissa-some reflection on role conflict: A sociological Analysis (A joint paper by J.K. Pattanaik and S. Mohanty), Kerala Sociologist, Vol. XXIV, No.2, 1996.
- Violence against women in India and its associated problems (A joint paper by J.K.Pattanaik and B.N.Chattoraj) Indian Journal of Criminology and Criminalistics, Vol.XX, No.2, 1999.
- Rape in India: A Multidimensional perspective, Indian Journal of Criminology, Vol.29, No.1&2, 2001.
- Eve-Teasing among college girls: A study in urban city of Bhubaneswar, The Indian Journal of Criminology and Criminalistics, Vol.XXVII, No.1, 2006.
- Retirees in the Indian Family (A joint Paper by S. Mohanty, J.K. Pattanaik and N. Mohanty), Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol.XII, No.2, 1998.
- Suicide in India: Prevention & Control strategies (A joint paper by J.K. Pattanaik, S. Mohanty and B.N. Chottoraj) Indian Journal of Criminology and Criminalistics, Vol.XX, No.3, 1999.
- Care of the Elderly-Onus on the Family, Social Welfare, Vol 45, No.10, 1999.
- Stress and strains of women police in Orissa: A sociological Analysis, Orissa Review, September-October, 1998.
- Environmental pollution in Bhubaneswar: A Critical Analysis (J.K. Pattanaik and P.K.Mishra), Orissa Review, Vol.IV, No.11, 1999.
Participation in Seminar, Workshop & Conference
- 2015-Participated International Conference on Non-State Legal Practices, 5-7Dec,Manipal University, Manipal,Karnatka.
- 2014- Presented paper on ‘Gender Disparity in Rural Society: A Sociological Study in Puggu Village ,Gumla,Jharkhand, International Conference on Gandhiji, Gram Swaraj and Democratic Decentralisation, 27-29 November, KILA, Thrissur,Kerala.
- 2009- Presented paper on ‘Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya in India: its effectiveness for girls education in cultural context’, International Seminar on Quality School Education for All, 5-7th March, 2009, NUEPA, New Delhi.
- 1999- Attended 7th Asia Crime prevention foundation world conference on Effective Regional Cooperation in Crime Prevention and Criminal justice System in the Next Millennium Dec 23rd –26th, Organised by Indian crime prevention foundation, New Delhi.
- 1998- Attended INDIA-UNAFEI joint seminar on Crime prevention & Control strategies against organized Crime, Dec14-17, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- 2015-Presented a Paper on Urbanization: Challenges and Opportunities-A Case Study of Bhubaneswar City, Two day national conference on Sustainable Urbanization in India: Challenges and Opportunities, Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, January 15-16.
- 2014- Participated and presented a paper on Gender Budgeting and its impact on Women in the National Seminar on Gender and Development: Anthropological Perspectives, organized at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar from 26th to 27th
- 2013- Participated in the Silver Jubilee conference on Human Development from Sep26-28, 2013, organised by the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- 2013-Participated in the National Seminar on Economic Reforms, Economic Liberalisation and FDI, NUSRL, Ranchi, 9th -10th Feb.
- 2012-Presented paper on ‘Educational Status among Tribal children:Study of Ashram Schools in Koraput District of Odisha, India, National Seminar on Governance, Socio-Economic Disparity and Social Unrest in the Scheduled Areas of India, organized by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Guwahati Campus, Assam from November 22 to 24, 2012.
- 2005- National Seminar on “Sociology in Orissa” and presented paper on Job-expectation, Adjustment and coping strategy: A comparative study of women police in Delhi and Orissa, Dept of Sociology, Sambalpur University, 22-23rd Feb.
- 2001- Silver jubilee conference of the Indian Society of Criminology, Nov1-3, organized by N.I.C.F.S, Delhi
- Seminar on Development, Crime and Criminal Justice Administration and presented a paper on social change and female criminality in India.Feb2-3, Dr. Hari Singh Gaur university, Sagar, MP.
- 2000- 26th All India sociological conference and presented a paper on Suicide in India: prevention & control strategies, Dec 29th –31st, Kerala University, Trivandrum, Kerala.
- Seminar on sociology for the 21st century in India and presented paper on crisis in Indian sociology: Methodological and theoretical analysis, Feb 11-12, Sambalpur University, JyotiVihar, Burla, Orissa.
- 1997- Seminar on Tribal Development. Presented paper on problems and prospects of Panchayat Raj Institution in India, 21-23 Feb, Deptt. Of Sociology, Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur, MP.
- 1996- Seminar on Human Factor, Resource Management and Development, Deptt of Anthropology, Delhi University, 3-5thOct, Organized by the Indian society for Ecology (ISHE).Delhi.
- 3rd All India Conference of medical service centre and presented paper on women’s Health, Environment and Development: A sociological Analysis, 28-29th Sept, organized by Medical Service Centre, Chandigarh state committee, Chandigarh.
- Seminar on Tribal Development: Presented paper on elected women’s representatives to the village Panchayat and their role in rural development Programmes: A critical appraisal, May 22nd –24th, G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Kosi, Almora (U.P), 263643.
- Seminar on Women and Development in India and presented a paper on Problems of Working Women in India, 29-30th Oct,1994,Deptt of sociology, Sambalpur university, Burla, Orissa.
- Post-Beijing workshop on Women’s Health, Education and Rights,10-11th ,March, organized by Institute for evaluation, research, documentation and training, Sambalpur University, Orissa.
- Seminar on Women and Environment, July 7th, 1996, organized by Toc, OUAT, NSS and NYK, Khurda, Bhubaneswar.
Brief Description of Current Research
Presently working on Sociology of Gender and Sociology of Law.